The Curry Mindset

One of Basketball's Greatest Overcame Adversity

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Curry Mindset

Stepth Curry, NBA player for the Golden State Warriors

Parth Ahir, Reporter

Even though people were jealous of his talents, and bullied him, and made it difficult for him to succeed, he overcame all that, and became a rising star; all star #30 from the Golden State Warriors: Stephen Curry.

Stephen Curry is one of the best current players to play the game of basketball. Stephen Curry was born on March 14, 1988 in Akron, OH. Curry is known for his ability to shoot deep threes in games His younger brother, Seth Curry, also is known for his shooting too. Both the Curry brothers learned this from their dad, Dell Curry, who once played in the NBA and was also known for his 3 point shooting. But life in high school was different for the 30 year old.

Curry was underrated in high school for the way he looked. Curry had a “baby face” and was only 5 feet 8 inches tall and only weighed 125 pounds, so teammates thought he wasn’t good enough for varsity. He got jumped many times as a teenager because of his strength and his height. In an interview by Pat Forde, Stephen Curry stated that, “My freshman year, I went through some doubts about whether I could play on the varsity level back then. One of my only regrets is not trying out (for the varsity) that year. I played JV. That taught me to go for it. To not let what people might tell you – no matter how short or skinny you might be — deter you from getting where you want to go.”

Curry really wanted to play for the varsity team as a freshman, which is a very big accomplishment. He didn’t try out for the varsity team because of his height; he thought that he wouldn’t be able to shoot the ball over tall defenders.

After high school, Curry went to Davidson College in Charlotte, NC to play more basketball. He then entered the NBA draft of 2009, and was drafted in Round 1, Pick 7. But struggles weren’t over for Curry. He got injured many times in his early NBA career. He suffered ankle sprains and acl sprains. Some reports say that he almost got traded to the Bucks because he suffered various injuries. People thought he wasn’t going to be able to play anymore but he proved everyone wrong.

In 2015, Curry helped the Warriors get their first championship in 40 years. He won the league MVP award back to back in 2015 and 2016. Later, Kevin Durant joined the team and since then, they have been winning championships. Stephen Curry is very appreciated by die-hard fans.

His story isn’t unique though as another, perhaps more influential icon, Michael Jordan, also prevailed in the fate of adversity. Jordan was cut from the high school basketball team and in just the following year the same coach wanted him on varsity because of amazing talents. In the off-season, like Curry, he worked extremely hard and improved.

It is important to understand that just like Stephen Curry, Michael Jordan and others, you can overcome your adversity too. So don’t let your status in high school define your future.