Paving a new Pathway

Back to Article
Back to Article

Paving a new Pathway

KCHS students and parents prepare for the first ever

KCHS students and parents prepare for the first ever "Ciclovia" event in King City

Mustang Legacy Team

Do you sometimes wish that cities had more opportunities for active transportation downtown, with fewer cars to allow people to safely walk, ride a bike, ride a skateboard or use healthier means of transportation? “Ciclovia” means “bicycle pathway” in Spanish, and the Ciclovia event that is coming to King City for the first time on April 14th will be an event in which part of downtown is blocked off from cars for four hours, with vendors and community groups tabling, sharing resources and encouraging people to walk, use a bike or actively move around outside.

Ciclovia was recently brought to Salinas and Gonzales from all the way in Bogota, Colombia, in an effort to promote public health, improve the city’s public image with a positive event, stimulate local business with vendors participating on the open streets, and so on. The Monterey County Health Department, the City of King, the non-profit group Building Healthy Communities, and other partners and stakeholders are organizing Ciclovia, through the Active Transportation Program grant local to South County, and different phases of the grant have already led to repaving First Street here in King City.

What do students and parents have to do with the first ever Ciclovia event? Apart from the City Manager, local business owners and other stakeholders providing their input for the Ciclovia event at the public meeting at City Hall on February 12, 2019, Building Healthy Communities and the Monterey County Health Department collaborated with CSUMB GEAR UP to bring the decision-making for Ciclovia to King City High School in order to allow for robust student input and involvement, as well as parent participation in the planning of the event.

Twenty-nine students participated in the first youth Ciclovia planning meeting right after school on February 13, and the first parent Ciclovia planning meeting later that evening had about twenty parents in participation as well! Students and parents alike provided their input and feedback by voting on the exact route preferred by the youth, which will be brought back to city officials for further voting and consensus, and students and parents provided feedback on what kinds of activities, booths and resources should advertise themselves with tables or booths during Ciclovia.

Juniors and seniors in participation not only earn community hours toward the twenty required hours for graduation by the time students finish senior year, but being part of the planning and the event the day of affords students invaluable local leadership, community involvement and volunteering experience that will help students tremendously when they apply for universities, scholarships, and even jobs by showing responsibility and leadership skills.

What if you missed a meeting or two, but still want to get involved? No worries! Ciclovia is flexible by allowing students to attend as many of the Ciclovia Wednesday meetings as they can, and allowing students to join after the start date on February 13. What if Wednesdays right after school does not work with your work, sports, club/ drama or studying schedule? Students are welcomed to participate in the once per week evening meetings at 6:00PM when the parents ordinarily go, as the 6:00 PM meeting is a “community” meeting open to the public at large.

We are looking forward to Ciclovia, taking place Sunday April 14 from 11:00AM- 3:00PM, and students of all grades are welcome to gain leadership and community service experience by attending the planning meetings after school on Wednesdays in the Library! Hope to see you in the Library right after school on Wednesdays to join our robust team! For more information, please email Sarah Norberg at [email protected] or stop by room 184, or see Maggie in the Library.