Mustang Legacy: Chris Andrew

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mustang Legacy: Chris Andrew

Chris Andrew, teacher at Chalone Peaks Middle School

Samuel Rivera, Reporter

Chris Andrew grew up west of Salinas. He went to middle school in 1976 and recalls having a fantastic history teacher that stimulated his passion for the subject. After middle
school, he went to Palma High School where he participated for 4 years in varsity track. He graduated high school in 1980.

After high school, he initially did not intend to go to college. Instead, he decided to move to the state of Alaska to work for the forest service. After working in Alaska, he decided that he personally did not want to work in the forest for the rest of his life. After making this realization he chose to return to California.

For his post high school education, he first enrolled in Hartnell College, where he met his wife. Also, while he was in Hartnell, he coached the track team of his 4 sisters at Notre Dame High School after their original coach resigned. There, he discovered that he enjoyed coaching in the sense that it was a form of teaching. He then combined that with his passion in history and later decided that he wanted to become a history teacher.

From Hartnell, Andrew transferred to San Jose State University. In San Jose, he worked towards his bachelors in social science. After earning his degree, Andrew went to Chapman
University for his teaching credentials.

He later became a teacher at San Lorenzo School and has been teaching for about 28 years. Andrew also teaches adult education in King City High School, including citizenship classes. He also has coached the jv team softball team that his 2 daughters were in. On top of that, Andrew also teaches confirmation classes at St. John’s Church to help the Catholic community develop their faith.

A major impact that Andrew has had in his students’ education is helping create the Medieval Fair for 7th grade students about 20 years ago. Every year, Andrew is a major aspect of
recreating parts of the Medieval era that review what the 7th grade learned in history for that year.

The following year for 8th graders, for about the past 17 years, Andrew has also been part of the Civil War reenactment that takes place annually in San Lorenzo Park. He explains that when the idea was first proposed to him, he began to list ideas and would attend weekly meetings in order to set up the environment that students would only read about in their textbooks. He recalls that the first year of the Civil War reenactment, the 8th grade class did not ask the park for permission. “We just invaded,” Andrew added. However, it “mushroomed from there.”

As the years passes, the annual Civil War reenactment that helps 8th graders experience the largest war in American history to an extent became what it is today with reenactors, equipment, and props.

Andrew, however, clarifies that although participating in the reenactment is a memory that many students tend to remember more than what they read in any textbook, it is not meant to glorify war. “That’s why we start at the cemetery,” he explains. Andrew also mentions how marching through town gives the students a brief experience of the physical demand of the war.

Thank you Mr. Andrew for all the time you have dedicated to the King City community and your dedication to teaching!

About the Writer
Samuel Rivera, Reporter

My name is Samuel and I am an editor for the Mustang Legacy. I help my peers improve their articles and work to raise the quality of our writing. I am...